This episode marks the satisfying conclusion to a sacred quest, for the holy grail (or indeed, unicorn) that is an affordable bottle of Hibiki 17. Stu tracked a bottle down for a very reasonable price (excluding the cost of flights, board and accommodation) in a recent holiday in Japan, just in time for the first breaths of 2018 so we could look back on a year of fantastic music and enjoy a dram of the rare stuff.
It's all pretty well explained in the podcast. Tell you what, while you wait for it to download here are some lovely new words that made it into the dictionary (OED, naturally) in 2017:
1. Buggerlug (n.) - An affectionate term for a child, particularly when it isn't listening to the adult.
2. Spooge (n. formal) - Any sealant or lubricant applied during the assembly of electronic equipment.
3. Throat Sing (v.) - To perform throat singing.
4. Ginkgolide (n.) - Any of a group of bitter compounds present in the leaves and roots of the ginkgo tree.
5. Zyzzyva (n.) - A genus of tropical weevils native to South America.
6. Belyando spew (n. informal) - Any illness marked by bouts of vomiting.
Anyway, to music! The six, yes six, tracks that feature on the podcast, in full, are:
Stu’s 1st selection: Rolling Blackouts Coast Fever - French Press
Andy’s 1st selection: Public Service Broadcasting - They Gave Me A Lamp
Stu’s 2nd selection: Melanie De Biasio - Afro Blue
Andy’s 2nd selection: Richard Dawson - Soldier
Stu’s 3rd selection: Colin Stetson - Like wolves on the fold
Andy’s 3rd selection: Hurray For The Riff Raff - Living In The City
For the playlist, we gave runner-up nods to King Krule, Phoenix, Arca, Four Tet, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue and Les Amazone d'Afrique (Dombolo)...Have a listen to the full playlist here: